“Jesus said to them again, Peace be with you.
As the Father has sent me, even so I am sending you.” (John 20:21 ESV)
Then said Jesus to them again, Peace be unto you:
as my Father hath sent me, even so send I you. (John 15:21 KJV)
Concerning Christian mission, is there a verse of Scripture more simple and strong and beautiful than this?
- Jesus had both deep humility and fierce resolve (Philippians 2:8). So send I you.
- Jesus was a friend to sinners (Matthew 9:11). So send I you.
- Jesus loved the unlovely (Mark 3:1–5). So send I you.
- Jesus ministered cross-culturally (Mark 8:24, John 4:4–40). So send I you.
- Jesus blended grace and truth beautifully (John 1:14). So send I you.
- Jesus had an intimate prayer relationship with the Father (Luke 16:12). So send I you.
- Jesus did everything ultimately for the glory of God (John12:28). So send I you.
To abide in Christ (John 15:4) means to identify with Jesus—to bear fruit in his Story to bless all peoples and nations.
Is this the Story that runs through my heart? Is this my identity?